Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Tequila Lime Chicken Wings from Food Network Mag January

For the Super Bowl, I made Guy Fiero's Tequila Lime Chicken Wings from January 2010 of the FNM.  I had made them once before so I knew how tasty they were but this time my hubby treated me with a charcoal fire to finish them with. 

As you see, this is all you need to make these tart, smoky, spicy little darlings.  And the chicken wings of course!  Yummy! 

First, I like them because you bake them plain with salt and pepper, not fry them.  Then, you soak them in the marinade and finish them on the grill.  So after two times through this recipe, I would recommend tossing the wings in canola oil before cooking them so that they don't stick to the pan and tear their skins all apart.  Also, I would make twice the called for marinade.  It has you cook the leftover down to toss on the wings after the grill and especially after the charcoal grill, it needed a bit more moisture.
I could not find straight Adobo sauce in Wegmans, but I did find some Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce and will now stock the item in my pantry, that's how useful I found them.  Not so much for the kids pallette, but it added a smokey/spicy depth to the diced tomato sauce I made for a quick pasta dish.  And it would be great in a BBQ sauce for sure!  I was able to freeze the leftover peppers individually so I would not waste them and it will provide a quick spicy addition to a few things I'm sure.

I will keep this recipe close and make it often.  We both really loved these and I got a lot of compliments from the other party-goers.  I would advise though if you are using a charcoal grill to wait until the fire has cooled.  These kinda got away from me and ended up with more charring than I like.

New ingredients to my kitchen: 
Adobo Sauce(with canned Chipotle Peppers)
Agave Syrup(A cactus extract that acts like a low glycemic sweetener,  great btw for diabetics)
Tequila!

No comments:

Post a Comment