Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Obama's Herb Roasted Chicken and Gingered Pears and Parsnips

Tonight I made the Herb Roasted Chicken featured in the FNM(January 2010 pg.126) and Gingered Pears and Parsnips (same mag pg. 79).  First, we have the Gingered Pears and Parsnips. 

Bosc Pears
Parsnips
White Wine
Chicken Broth
Butter
Lemon
Ginger
Bay Leaf
Sugar
Red Pepper Flakes

Overall, I did not care for this dish.  I do not ever remember cooking with parsnips so perhaps it is my ignorance that struggled with their flavor.  They seemed overly sweet.  The pears were lovely, though I would have added more red pepper flakes and a touch more salt, which was not mentioned in the recipe.  Also, the recipe did not state whether to peel the Pears so I peeled half and left half with peels on.  Peel the pears, much better.  The dish turned a lovely golden brown though so it gets a gold star for appearances.  I think the dish would have been better with a stronger savory flavor to balance the sweet.

Then the Obama Herb Roasted Chicken

Fresh Herbs(I used dried, duh, it's the middle of Winter!)
Dijon Mustard
Olive  Oil
Salt and Pepper

The recipe called to marinate for an hour or overnight.  I did the hour and wish I'd done the overnight.  The skin tasted great( what skin doesn't) but the flavor really didn't penetrate far into the meat.  I questioned the amounts in the recipe b/c they were so small.  I would use twice as much and for sure marinate overnight next time. I also had to broil them for the last few minutes to crisp the skin. 

So, not great, but not horrible.  New ingredients in my kitchen for this meal:  Fresh Ginger and Parsnips  

No comments:

Post a Comment